The origin of the Hoysalas is a matter of much interesting speculation and controversy. Like their distinguished contemporaries, the Seunas, the Hoysalas too claim their descent from Yadu (Lunar Dynasty) and call themselves the Yadavas. The conventional titles like, "Yadavanarayana", "Yadavakutambrad-yumani" and "Dvaravatipura-varadhisvara" are common to both the Seunas and the Hoysalas. These details are compiled from internet and by various sources by the Blogger over the years.

Saturday, January 9, 2010

Jain Basadis, Basadihalli, Hassan District.

Even though this countryside looks like a separate village situated near Halebedu, it was prominent part of Dorasamudra during the rule of the Hoysalas. Within this well-established area on the east of the inner fortress, there were several huge and highly rich Basadis (Jinalayas). Most of them have been ruined, and today there are Basadis of the Hoysala age only within one single compound.

Parshwanatha Basadi (1133 A.D)

The big Basadi Facing the entrance of the compound is called Vijaya Parshwanatha Basadi. This was completed in memory of Ganga Raja, the commander of Vishnuvardhana Raya 1113 AD, by his son Boppadeva. Originally as a memoir of the title of Ganga Raja it had the nomenclature styled as Dhrohagharatta Jinalaya (Dhohagharatta, 'the pulveriser of treachery' was perhaps the title of Ganga Raja). During the opening ceremony of the Jinalaya, Vishnuvardhana Raya became victorious in the battle of Bankapura. So this was renamed as Vijaya Parswanatha Jinalaya and was honored with royal donations for its maintenance. This Basadi looks simple at the outside, but possesses very rich decorations inside. The sculpture of the underside sealing, called Bhuvaneshwari, is very attractive. The round pillars of nice splendid black stone found in the navaranga portion. There is a special place for such exquisite pillars in Hoysala architecture, there stands in the sanctum - sanctorum a 14 ft high idol of Parshwanatha in the sthanaka posture.

Attached to the walls of the navaranga there are in all 24 peethas (seats) indicating the erstwhile existence of the idols of 24 Teerthankaras there. They have all vanished today. Infront of this basadi there is a Mukha Mantapa (Portico Hall) comprising many pillars, along with a big inscription describing the construction of this Jinalaya. Many more inscriptions found here have become official records of the Government.

Adinatha Basadi

Adinatha Basadi to the right of the Parshwanatha Basadi is another one of a very simple style. Devara Heggade Malli Mayya built it. It is a little one containing proportionately a little navaranga and a little sanctuary. A Saraswathy idol exists in the Deva Koshtha (House of Gods) of the navaranga. Since the original idol of the sanctuary is broken, it has been deposited in the neighboring Santinatha Basadi.

Saantinatha Basadi

This is a high and broad Basadi situated on the right of the Adinatha Basadi. One going by the name Madhukanna Vijayanna built this beautiful Jinalaya in 1256 AD with the substantial encouragement offered by the association of the businessmen of Dorasamudra. The outer wall of this Basadi is of course very simple. But here too, in the navaranga portion, there is huge shining round pillars taking their appropriate positions.

A monolithic 15ft idol of Santhinatha stands in sanctum in the sthanaka posture. Once in 12 years the Head Bathing Festival (Maha Masthakabhisheka) takes place here. Facilitating the bathing performance brick steps have been built in a convenient way. In front of the Basadi entrance there is a measuring column call Manastambha as lofty as 30ft.

All these three Basadi’s comprehended with in one compound have common Pushkarini on the north -east corner of the compound.

No comments:

Post a Comment